Thursday, July 07, 2005

Flaunting My Knowledge?

Personally, I find theological discussions very interesting. I know that sometimes these discussions can be pointless. A lot of people feel that we should be spending more time loving others and acting out our Christian beliefs instead of arguing about them. And I cannot agree more with them. Nevertheless, I also feel that such discussions are needed and do have their place in the Church. This is because what we believe really does affect how we live! We know what happened when St. Augustine theologized that it was alright for Christians to torture and kill heretics – it inadvertently led to the Crusades. If life is just about finding the way to heaven, then I can forget about the world once I accept Jesus as my Savior. I don’t even have to care about what is happening in the world anymore.

And sometimes, certain people DO ask questions. Some people do have intellectual tendencies and need that facet of spirituality to be fulfilled. Jesus did not condemn Nicodemus who came in the night to ask theological questions. Jesus met his needs by engaging in a conversation with him. So we are still loving our neighbors when we engage in theological discussions, especially when we know that the person is going through doubts, or asking questions about the faith. This is one way we care for that person!

So here I was, riding on the wave of theological discussions with different groups of people, when it hit me. It hit me real hard. We have our yahoo groups for ex-CF members of MMU through which all of us would keep in touch. The group had been quiet previously, until someone brought up the issue of ‘Misconceptions of Christianity’, and then scores of people just replied. Theological discussions ensued. I joined in as well. Colin, who was the one who usually tried to get us to be active in the groups, and a really wise Christian friend, had something to say about it when we were chatting. He, of course, stayed out of the discussion.

colinpal (11:47:55 AM): notice how everyone started posting after there is something like this
colinpal (11:48:09 AM): they are only interested to post if they can show/share their knowledge
colinpal (11:48:30 AM): otherwise, they couldn't be bothered if everyone else were dead or alive


I felt the full force of his words. I was stunned into thinking about what I have been doing. Do I engage in theological discussions to help someone, to find out how we should live, or to show how much I know? Have I been going around flaunting my knowledge? I have to be honest and admit that I have. Indeed, it is time to be more careful about what I get involved in, and why I do it. Point taken, Colin. Thanks!

2 Comments:

At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I have learnt a lot about my faith and society around me from the many conversations with u. And also from all your blog postings.

Theological and apologetics discussion keep us aware of the changing world around us, keeping Christianity relevant to society. It also guards us against the hypes that come and go - which so many churches are prone to fall victim to, the sometimes questionable twisting of the Bible by celebrity pastors and mega-churches.

To me, the existance of groups of people that are critical of their own faith is what that is keeping Christianity relevant and stopping churches from having a free reign in the interpretation of the word of God. Remember, having child-like faith does not mean accepting things 'because-the-bible/pastor-says-so,' but rather, child-like faith means to question and ponder and struggle to learn just like a child.
-gim

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, if God gives you wisdom, surely He would expect you to share it with everyone you know...

What is the measuring line that you would use to define "flaunting your knowledge"? If flaunting your knowledge means feeling good about yourself, how is that wrong? Surely God is not any less glorified when you express satisfaction with the wisdom that He had given you. If it gives you satisfaction to write down your thoughts, go ahead and do it. Just like how it gives satisfaction to Goofy to IM you. And how it gives me satisfaction to write this comment...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home