Monday, January 16, 2006

From Wheaton to Rome?

I’ve just been reading Scott McKnight’s article, ‘From Wheaton to Rome’, about why Evangelicals convert to Roman Catholicism. He states four reasons why he thinks some of these Christians, which includes big-names like Scott Hahn, Thomas Howard, John Michael Talbot, G. K. Chesterton, John Henry Newman and Dorothy Day, decide to switch – certainty, history, unity and authority.

I was so surprised to discover that some of the experiences of these ‘converts’ actually resonated deeply within me that I wondered if my journey as a Christian will bring me down the same road. And I’m still wondering…

In the last year or so, I’ve learned to appreciate the complex history of Christianity. The more I learn, the more I find myself wanting to connect with that long procession through time… not just the last 500 years! Reading people like Henri Nouwen, Thomas Merton and Vincent Donovan has left me in awe of their spirituality, wisdom and love for God. From a person who in secondary school used to think of Roman Catholicism as a pagan religion, and the Pope as an anti-Christ figure, I’ve turned into someone who can appreciate the Roman Catholic faith for all its beliefs, traditions and sacraments. More than that, I’ve become someone who regularly turns to Roman Catholics for insight and wisdom, amassed from over 2000 years of learning what it means to follow the Christ. We Evangelical Protestants are just beginning to realize how much we can learn from our Roman Catholic brothers and sisters. In that sense, the Emergent Network has been influential in my journey, by showing me what it means to appreciate other Christians who may disagree with me, and showing me how much we can learn from the past.

Add to all that my disillusionment with lynchpin Protestant ideas, particularly ‘Sola Scriptura’, I just wonder…

For now though, I can’t see myself becoming a full-fledge, professing Roman Catholic. There are still issues and ideas that I might not be able to accept (e.g. no contraceptives!). But I guess it just shows that no Christian denomination is perfect. We do need to learn from one another, each group offering what another may be lacking.

6 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger Dee said...

Just call yourself first and foremost a Christian.I always think we're all too busy correcting and finding fault in each other's differences in the way practise our faith.Just a thought,my Dad was a Catholic,Mum was a Methodist but they became Anglicans (so are we of course) because that was the only church near to the village they were teaching in.Hehehe...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Dave said...

:) Sola Scriptura has been abused to a point where we no longer appreciate Tradition as a valuable resource for interpretation...

I think we need to learn from history and traditions and creeds of previous generations, not just the catholics,... wat abt Easter Orthodox? haahah....

But sola scriptura is a guiding beacon for an evangelical like me in the sense that no tradition inc my own is infallible, and must be evaluated on the basis of God's Word

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger sojourner said...

dee_m: Hello! well... I think I don't know what I am either! Part methodist... part catholic.. part brethren.. :P and probably a mixture of other stuff :)

hedonese: I agree with you and the reformers(and most other evangelicals!)about going back to Scripture. It's just that sometimes, in many of our doctrines and theology, there is always: Scripture AND the traditional RC interpretation,Scripture AND the Reformed interpretation of it, Scripture AND someone's interpretation of it... I think many Protestants and Evangelicals are not aware of that, and are quick to brand the Catholics as 'unbiblical'.

Eastern Orthodox? hehe... I saw a highly recommended EO book at the Curve Borders and was thinking of buying it after CNY!

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with a lil bit of everything.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Huorë said...

Sometimes have you wondered what would the disciples/apostles to join which denomination if they were in our time?
Would would Paul think of Roman Catholicism?
IMHO, I think that Paul would probably avoid denominational questions but still expound the scriptures without offending certain groups. Denominationals today is just a name nowaday. I think as long as we hold on strong on the differences in the Body of Christ, the enemy has won.
The true body of christ should not worry too much of our differences but more on discipling men.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger sojourner said...

well... Paul and the apostles din have that to worry about... haha.. there was only one church then! :P

But there were a lot of Christian groups around (like the Gnostics and those whose theology differed from his). I think Paul just couldn't stop criticizing them and offending them! haha...that's why sometimes I dun really like Paul!

I think there is nothing wrong about talking about our differences. In fact, I think we should, because, like I said in the blog, we have so much to learn from each other! And I believe it will help us to appreciate each other more, rather than just criticizing each other. Just like each member of the church needs one another, each denomination needs one another for a more fuller experience of Christianity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home