Saturday, January 22, 2005

The Great Outdoors

What a wonderful day! Bob, Tehka, Ow, Madeline and I had the opportunity to visit the Malaysia Agricultural Park in Shah Alam. We rented bicycles and cycled all around the place. The whole park was huge, and we only managed to explore less than a third of the park. Nevertheless, we were able to enjoy the beauty and serenity of it all. Large trees shaded us from the hot afternoon sun as strong breezes blew against our faces. Little streams winded their way all across the park, home to various species of freshwater fish.

We cycled all the way to the furthest fishing spot that they had; a quiet little place called the Sungai Baru Dam. We realized then that we were not allowed to fish as we had no fishing rods. We went on to fish illegally anyway, using just fishing lines and hooks. We had not brought any bait, but managed to dig up a few worms from a patch of soil nearby. I let Tehka and Bob do all the work and enjoy all the fishing. For me, I was content to just lie down on a wooden platform floating on the shore of the dam, gaze up into the sky, enjoy the breeze that kept on blowing across the dam, and listen to the rustling of the leaves. I had never felt this sort of peace and quiet for a long, long time. I have always enjoyed and loved nature. In recent times though, I have had less and less opportunities to do so. Anyway, I appreciated this little time that I had, and was so grateful when Ow volunteered to cycle back to a stall we had passed on the way there to get some snacks.

It was definitely a tiring day, especially with all the uphill cycling that we had to do. I have never had good stamina in the first place. Bob and Tehka never caught any fish, but we went back contented. I was sure that I would go back to that place if ever I had the chance again. There is something about nature and wild places that fascinates me. I can always hear it calling out to me; every time I see photographs of beautiful landscapes, or whenever life becomes so filled with busyness that my heart longs for an escape; an escape into the great outdoors…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home