Thursday, February 24, 2005

The Call, the Question, the Task, the Challenge


I have been asked by Leona to share on leadership during the AGM in CF. As I was preparing for the session this morning, I suddenly became aware that the message I prepared was a message to me as well. This message was drawn from the passage in John 21, where Jesus was commissioning Peter to lead His Church. The beautiful scene in which Jesus calls His simple and beloved disciple into a seemingly enormous task has touched me deeply time and time again. Ever since I heard its message at a leader’s camp called ‘Deep Impact’, God has continued to use this passage to inspire and encourage me as I walk the difficult path of following Jesus. The points in the message I prepared were taken from the sermon at the camp, as well as from one of my favorite books, called ‘In the Name of Jesus’ by Henri Nouwen.

· The Call: Simon son of John

Who does God call? What kind of person would God call?

In John 21, Jesus was calling Peter to lead the Church. This was the Peter that was so brash, foolhardy and often leapt before he looked. This was the Peter that didn’t understand that Jesus had to die. This was the same Peter that was brimming with self-confidence, so much that he could say, “Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will”. This same Peter couldn’t even stay awake to pray with Jesus at a time when Jesus needed His friends the most. This same Peter denied His own Lord three times to save his own skin. This is the kind of person that God calls to be a leader.

I have many times felt unworthy to lead the CF when I was the president. Now I feel unworthy to be its advisor. I believe that God is telling me that He calls me despite my shortcomings, despite my imperfections and despite my failures. Jesus called him ‘Simon son of John’. He was not calling him because he was the ‘Rock’. Jesus was calling Simon as his simple, imperfect self.

As His most holy eyes have not found among sinners any smaller man, nor any more insufficient and sinful, therefore He has chosen me to accomplish the marvelous work which God hath undertaken; He chose me because He could find none for worthless, and He wished to confound the nobility and grandeur, the strength, the beauty and the learning of this world. ~ St. Francis of Assisi

· The Question: Do you love Me?

Jesus was entrusting His most precious sheep to Peter. What question did He ask Peter? Jesus was not interested to know if He could trust him. Jesus didn’t ask him if he would be able to bring thousands to Christ. Neither did He ask if Peter could show Him results. Jesus didn’t ask ‘How effective can you be?’, or ‘How good are you at what you do?’ All Jesus wanted to know was, “Do you love me?”

Many times, we are concerned about how effective we can be as leaders, or how much fruit we can bear. We wonder if we can achieve what we think God wants us to achieve. In regards to my role as an advisor, I wonder about the same things too. I wonder if I will be able to be a good advisor. I wonder if I can be effective. God wants to let me know that all He is concerned about is ‘Do you love me?’ Will I love Him by obeying Him? Will I remain faithful to Him no matter what the cost?

· The Task: Feed My Sheep

Jesus gave Peter a task. It was not to take care of the sheep-pen. It was not to take care of the tools. It was to feed and take care of God’s flock. God’s flock is made up of people. The task that has been entrusted to us as leaders is to take care of people. In whatever we do, it must always be about PEOPLE. We must always question ourselves: are using people to build our ministry, or are we using our ministry to build people? Do we care about the activities and ministries more than we care about people? I learnt this very crucial lesson when I was serving as the president. May I always remember that I have been called to build people, not activities and ministries.

· The Challenge: Follow Me

Jesus told Peter how he would have to die. Jesus challenged Peter to follow Him. What does it mean to follow Jesus? Jesus was rejected. He was alone. Jesus struggled with His Father. Jesus suffered on the cross. Jesus gave of himself. Following Jesus means that there will be times when we will feel rejected. It also means that there will be times when loneliness will overwhelm us. It means that we will have to make personal sacrifices and endure much suffering. Nobody said that being a leader would be easy. But this is God’s challenge to all of us who are called to follow Him. It is the price that we have to pay. Are we willing to bear the cost? Am I willing to follow Jesus all the way, even through the tough times?

As I prepare this message, I hope and believe that this is what God wants to say to the leaders in CF. I know though, that this is what God wants to say to ME as He prepares me for the role of advisor in the CF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home