Saturday, April 09, 2005

A New Chapter in My Life


I have so much information in my head at this moment after reading a good deal in the last month or so. As I’ve mentioned before, some of these books have really made a difference in the way I think. I believe that in a way, these books have also affected the way I feel about life, God and the people around me. I do wonder sometimes if change will stop there. Will my behavior change too? Will this change in heart lead to a change in my lifestyle and actions? This remains to be seen. I can read all the books in the world and have all the knowledge in the world, but if this does not lead me to be a loving neighbor to those around me, what good then will all the knowledge do me? Completing several books is not an end in itself. It is what comes after. Will I change the way I behave? Will I become more missional and Christ-like not only in my own thoughts but in my actions as well?

Agnes, Adrian and I were on our way back from dinner at Sunway Pyramid when Adrian began asking about some eschatological issues. He asked for my opinion on the resurrection of the saints, whether we would be resurrected only after the second coming of Christ, or immediately after we die. “I don’t know…” I replied calmly. “I guess we won’t know. There are so many different theories. Maybe we don’t have to know.” “Will knowing such things make us better Christians?” I questioned aloud, partly directing it to him and partly to myself. I was pleasantly surprised at my own reaction to his questions. No more the ‘I-know-it-all’ and ‘Christians-have-the-answers-to-everything-and-I-can-explain-it’ syndromes. Well, this is a good start. Maybe my behavior IS changing! If it is, I only have one person to thank – my Daddy up in Heaven!

Lord, I want so much to change. I want to be more Christ-like and more loving. After all that you have done for me, I just want to say thank you. May the words that You have spoken to me through these books and Your Holy Spirit carry me through into a new chapter of my life. May it be the beginning of another story of Your power to change lives – my life.

Remember - my goal isn't to make you think the same way I do: I'll just be happy if the book makes you think. I have loads of respect for others who don't reach the same conclusions I do - and I hope they'll be able to do the same for me. At the end of the day, if people experience increased energy to love God and their neighbors, that matters most. And if the status quo is destabilized so something better can shake loose ... thanks be to God. ~ Brian D. McLaren, on his website

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home