Friday, May 13, 2005

Fraser's Hill

We began the long journey to Fraser’s Hill early in the morning today. This is my first time here. I would never have expected to be here so soon after talking about it with John See and Agnes recently. Now I’m here to be part of this retreat organized by the Malaysian Antarctic Research Program, Academy of Sciences Malaysia. On our way, we passed by fish farms, forests and a dam. After two hours of long winding roads, we finally arrived at the Pines Resort to check in.

Am I in Malaysia? The architecture of the buildings on Fraser’s hill reflects a colonial past, most of the buildings being made of stone rather than bricks. In each apartment there is a fireplace, complete with chimneys. Various species of pine and fir trees dot the landscape. I feel like I’m in Europe rather than Malaysia. I like it very much here. I must bring Agnes here one day.

After the highly entertaining and funny first-aid training sessions, as well as good food, I stood on the road that led from the main lobby to the apartments. I looked out into the darkness where two hills gave way to a valley. I couldn’t see anything in the dark, so I just imagined what the view would be like. Insects and nocturnal birds were chirping in the background as I savored the cool air that wrapped around my skin and entered my lungs each time I inhaled. High on top of one of the hills were two red lights that marked the summit of electrical and telecommunication towers. One of them was blinking, slowly but steadily, forlorn and dejected, as if waiting for someone to return. In the distance, lightning flashed from time to time. It felt so good to be with nature again. It did allow me to get my mind off Hell so that I can just savor the beauty of the Earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home