Sunday, May 01, 2005

A Walk Through Time

Katherine came to Penang today with her colleagues for their company outing. We took advantage of it by asking her to join us for lunch so that she could meet Nick and Bob. After lunch, we decided to visit the War Museum, which Bob highly rated.

I loved the place from the moment I stepped out of the car. We were on top of a hill overlooking the sea. Below us, there were a few floating, wooden platforms that were used to breed fish. As we paid the entrance fees, a wonderful lady at the counter gave a brief overview of the entire place, explaining that the museum was once a British fort that was taken over by the Japanese during World War II. They then used it as a POW camp before surrendering to British forces at the end of the war.

Most of the buildings are still there, though the huge guns that supposedly had a range of about 15700 meters had been destroyed by the British before they retreated from the Japanese onslaught. As we entered the old buildings, some of them with bullet holes in the walls, it felt as if I had been transported into the past. I could almost hear the screams of the tortured POWs when I entered the torture chamber. I could feel the presence of British, Malay and Indian soldiers of ages past as I walked into the quarters and command center. It was eerie sometimes, but it was definitely a walk to remember. A recently constructed memorial was dedicated to those who had lost their lives while defending the country. It does invoke in me a sense of gratitude for these men and women. I don’t know why but I have never been so interested in history before!

For me, the highlights of the museum were the tunnels and escape routes. We were actually allowed to enter the tunnels that had been used as air raid shelters. The ceiling was low and we had to crouch as we walked inside. It was pitch black inside and we had to depend on nick’s tiny flashlight. I wouldn’t want to have to stay in such a place for hours! There was also an escape tunnel where we had to crawl on our knees for about 100 feet before reaching a ladder that rose about one storey up. We had to climb that ladder before we could get out. As I was waiting at the foot of the ladder for Adrian to climb up, an airplane flew by. I could hear the loud roar of its engines and for a moment, the whole tunnel seemed to vibrate with it. It was as if enemy planes were passing by and dropping bombs!

It was a great experience. I would bring friends there again if I had the opportunity. I wonder why this place has not received more publicity. I think it deserves more. As we were about to go home, we met a friendly man who was a caretaker of the place. We talked more about the museum and he shared with us more information about the place. We promised that we would help him to publicize it more by word of mouth.

We left the War Museum and continued to drive round the island before dropping Katherine at Eden Seafood Village where she rejoined her colleagues. I couldn’t help but feel proud of the War Museum. I am proud of Penang. It is really a wonderful place to be. The hills on one side, the sea on the other side, its long history, all play their parts to make Penang a beautiful and enchanting island!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home