Friday, April 22, 2005

Fresh Quotes from a Long History


Agnes and Dawn have begun to shift their belongings to their new house in Pinggiran Putra. After work today, I went home and started to do the same. Thus began the arduous task of moving house. I’ve been doing it a few times since I went to university, but none has been more ominous. Four years of accumulating books, clothes and all sorts of trinkets. How am I going to move all my books? What about my aquarium? This is what I get for buying too many things!

After I felt that I had done enough packing for the night, I took a bath and spent a little time on the final few chapters of ‘The Story of Christianity’. Here are some interesting quotes:-

Christianity should make a difference to the way you hold your knife and fork ~ Toyohiko Kagawa, on how Christianity should transform every aspect of life

When a poor person dies I want them to die in the arms of somebody who loves them. I want them to be able to look for the last time into the eyes of somebody who cares for them ~ Mother Theresa of Calcutta

At the heart of Christianity is the call by Jesus to repentance and conversion from sin. While Christians may be proud of many achievements, they admit that they sin, and that sometimes the Churches to which they belong have serious faults and flaws. In the twenty first century, most Christian Churches are taking stock, admitting past errors and looking for spiritual renewal. Christians still believe that they have a vital and important message to offer the world. The kernel of the gospel is renewal. As the world faces new challenges, Christians look to the treasury of two thousand years of success and failure to offer humanity the fruits of their achievement, and the lessons learned.

In these earlier years of the third millennium, it is difficult for Christians to know what lies in the future. Their hope and trust remain in Jesus, their Lord, who promised to be with them always, “even unto the end of time” (Matthew 28:20). ~ Michael Collins and Matthew A. Price, The Story of Christianity

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home