Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Island


A friend gave me a call in the morning to watch ‘The Island’ with him, so I called Tehka along as well. I liked the premise of the show, not to mention the cool spacey-new-age soundtrack and beautiful futuristic gadgets and structures. The movie raises some questions on questioning what we have always believed to be true. Who knows, we may find something beyond our rigid and limited knowledge. I have always been the curious type, wanting to find out more about our universe and the world in which we live.

The movie also brings to the fore the issues of cloning. Personally, I think the process of human cloning is too complex an issue for us Christians to say forth-rightly that it is wrong because of this and that. I have chosen not to get involved in such on-going debates. I think the more important ethical issue is this: how are we going to treat human clones if and when (I have a feeling it is going to be ‘when’ rather than ‘if’) they are beginning to live among us; as products, or as human beings? I wished that the director had focused more on this rather than the action sequences (which I feel were a little too much). One of the premises that he could have explored: What would Jordan (the lead female clone character) have done if she had met her counterpart in the real world whose DNA she had been cloned from? Would looking at the sick condition of the beautiful model and mother of a cute, baby boy have moved her to sacrifice herself (and her organs, which was what she was originally created for) for her counterpart? And if she had done so, would she have been more human than many other human beings?

I enjoyed spending some time in my car today, praying for our nation. I drove to this spot overlooking a forest near my house. It had been partially cleared to enable the development of more houses. I am not against development of course, but this scene prompted me to pray that we humans (Christians especially) will be more aware of our responsibilities towards the environment.

I managed to get some rest, prepare for the up-coming missions training, and clean up my house. It felt quite weird to be alone at home again when night came. Peace and quiet… time to reflect and think. I listened to some music, looked at some pictures. The day is gone. Time to sleep. A new day begins tomorrow, if I live to see tomorrow…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home