Friday, July 29, 2005

A Generous Orthodoxy



I finished my reading of ‘A Generous Orthodoxy’ by Brian McLaren today. I think it’s been quite an interesting journey through the different traditions of the Christian faith. McLaren does quite a good job in this book drawing out the strengths of some of these traditions, while giving fair criticisms when they are due. I particularly liked one of the first chapters in the book which he entitled ‘The Seven Jesuses I Have Known’. McLaren writes about the different views of Jesus in different traditions, drawing out perceptions of Jesus within conservative protestant circles, charismatic/Pentecostal circles, Roman Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, Liberal Protestantism, Anabaptist groups, and Liberation Theology. He does this not so that we can argue about who has the ‘correct’ picture of Jesus, or so that we can set up competing, independent portraits of Jesus, but so that we can celebrate them all! Perhaps, all these different views come together to form a richer and fuller image of the real Jesus? I like the way McLaren uses the metaphor of different kinds of foods to represent the different traditions of our faith.

What if we enjoy them all, the way we enjoy foods from differing cultures? Isn’t there nourishment and joy to be had from each tradition? No, I am not recommending we throw each offering in a blender, press the ‘liquefy’ button, and try to create a gray porridge of all cuisines. That doesn’t sound appetizing at all. Neither would it be helpful. Rather I’m recommending that we acknowledge that Christians of each tradition bring their distinctive and wonderful gifts to the table, so we can all enjoy the feast of generous orthodoxy – and spread that same feast for the whole world. ~ Brian McLaren, A Generous Orthodoxy

I also found an interesting quote from Lesslie Newbigin in the book, about how we can be generous towards those outside the Christian faith. And after months of having struggled with the issue of Hell, I think I can say that I am satisfied with Newbigin’s stand for now, together with some of the conclusions I came to recently through
reading N. T. Wright. And I have come to accept that ‘I don’t really know for sure’ could be the wisest answer that I can give on this issue for now!

Exclusive in the sense of affirming the unique truth of the revelation in Jesus Christ, but not in the sense of denying the possibility of salvation to those outside the Christian faith; inclusive in the sense of refusing to limit the saving grace of God to Christians, but not in the sense of viewing other religions as salvific; pluralist in the sense of acknowledging the gracious work of God in the lives of all human beings, but not in the sense of denying the unique and decisive nature of what God has done in Jesus Christ ~ Lesslie Newbigin, The Gospel in a Pluralist Society

In his ‘
A New Kind of Christian’ series, McLaren suggested that we look at the Bible as God’s story; the story we all find ourselves in, instead of looking at it as an infallible, inerrant, authoritative answer-book to all our questions on morality and theology. Instead of turning our Bibles into paper popes through ‘sola scriptura’, McLaren suggests how we can look at both scripture and tradition:

The Protestant Reformation separated two brothers: Scripture and tradition. The older brother tells the story that leads up to and through Christ, and the younger brother remembers what has happened since. These brothers aren’t the same, but neither should they be enemies. ~ Brian McLaren, A Generous Orthodoxy

Maybe neither of them are authoritative. Can we just let them both tell our story in God’s unfolding plan for the world, allowing them to be useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17), instead of as our theology answer book to prove ourselves right and others wrong in every tiny detail?

Some of us tend to look down on earlier Christian traditions and beliefs, as if ours are better than theirs. But Brian McLaren uses the analogy of a cross section of a tree trunk particularly well to describe the different Christian traditions emerging from previous traditions and beliefs.

Each ring represents not a replacement of the previous rings, not a rejection of them, but an embracing of them, a comprising of them and inclusion of them in something bigger. The tree’s previous growth is integrated into, and in fact is essential to, the tree’s continuing growth and strength.

God is the air that surrounds the tree, the soil in which it is rooted, the sunlight and rainfall that beckon it to grow and become, season by season, ring by ring. In God we live and grow and have our being. In God’s wind we sway and our leaves dance. ~ Brian McLaren, A Generous Orthodoxy

4 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Sivin Kit said...

I agree with Brian that we need to revise the way we view the Bible as a mere answer book to appreciating the Narrative of God's story. And I think tradition is a helpful more authoritative source for theology (without being rigid) than let's say my own individual experience, but being a good Lutheran I would probably not say the Bible is not authoritative for me ... :-) Because the Bible is the cradle for Christ! and as far as the Written word is concerned The Bible as God's "love letter" to humanity is authoritative over my life ... while Tradition as the living wisdom of the dead while perhaps a little bit lower in authority is still very important to refer to (so we won't repeat the same mistakes or we can learn from their successes and insights) .. I'm guessing that's perhaps what Brian is saying too. We can ask him when he comes :-)

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Sivin Kit said...

oh yeah! BTW, spot on for Newbigin!

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger sojourner said...

Maybe its due to my wrestling with the whole 'sola scriptura' issue lately. And this is where I am now. I look at the Bible as authoritative on the life of Christ, the unfolding story of God's redemption of mankind and how we should (or should not) live. But I wouldn't say that it is authoritative on eschatological details and timelines, 7 24 hr day creation theories etc. And I'm having a lot of problems with Paul's writings, especially each time he says, 'I say, not the Lord'. I just wonder if Paul's and the other NT epistles should become authoritative on a lot of matters (thus become a source of theology, like whether baptism of the Holy Spirit is a separate event after conversion or not, whether women should keep silent in church) when in fact it could only have been their opinions.

But I won't be surprised if my views change again in the future as I continue in this struggle! :P But as of now, I still love studying the Scriptures and letting God teach me through it! I agree the Bible is still very important to us!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Sivin Kit said...

perhaps this might be helpful
How can the Bible be authoritative?
http://www.ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Bible_Authoritative.htm

I can emphatize with you when it comes to so called theories of the endtimes, or 24hour days for Genesis, etc. For me, it's less about the Bible and more about our interpretations which always need to be checked again and again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home