Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Efche

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Simple… yet profoundly meaningful. This prayer, used by many Eastern Orthodox Christians over the ages, is supposed to help keep one’s mind focused on God at all times. So I tried praying it a few times – on my way back from Ipoh, and whenever it came to mind. I can say that it helps me to be aware of God as I went about my tasks. It reminds me of who I am - a sinner in need of God’s mercy and grace; yet someone who calls Jesus ‘Lord’ and who needs to live like he means it.

7 Comments:

At 1:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That statement's called "The Efche" ?
Who called it that?

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger sojourner said...

this short prayer is called the 'Jesus prayer'... also known as Efche... I have totally no idea what it means and who gave it that name!!! :P

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Why they call it Jesus prayer ah? I thought it is a sinner's prayer?
:P

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger sojourner said...

hmmm... good question! maybe cuz it sort of invokes Jesus' name... not too sure though!

 
At 5:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's called the "Efche" because that's the Greek word for "Prayer." Additionally, it is called the Jesus Prayer because it centers around the divine Name of Jesus.

 
At 1:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those interested should take a look at "The Mountain of Silence" by Kyriacos C. Markides (Doubleday). His conversations with the Athonite monk, Father Maximos, are enlightening. The Efche is specifically addressed on P. 56.

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! Markides' book is good. The Jesus Prayer was a huge help to me. More information in the books "The Way of a Pilgrim" and "A Pilgrim Continues his Way".

About the word origin: In Greek, ευχή or 'efche' , pronounced "ef- hay' means 'wish' or 'recommendation' according to Google Translate. The word for prayer is προσευχή, pronounced 'pro-sef-he'. So, the word 'wish' is at the end of the word 'prayer'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home