Sunday, May 22, 2005

Questions, Musings, and Am I Going Too Far?

I find it a little bit odd that during this retreat, our devotion sessions would turn into theological discussions. Yesterday, Jane’ette initiated musings on the age old question of suffering as she led the devotion session. Why do we suffer? Our conversations over dinner revolved around light-hearted chatter on Christian morality and the danger of causing other Christians to stumble. Tonight, the conversation deepened and touched on the topics of God’s will, freewill, predestination and Hell.

If I had a choice, I would have kept much of what I shared then to myself. With hindsight, I think that would have been the better option. But with all the questions and thoughts that have been running through my head lately, I couldn’t resist the temptation to share what I have read in ‘the Last Word’, as well as all the doubts and unanswered questions that I had. Maybe I have been keeping all these thoughts to myself for far too long and I am now aching for someone to talk to about them. So when some of us in the team began asking questions about why God chooses certain people to go to Heaven and others to Hell, and how the death of non-Christian relatives can become stumbling blocks in their faith, I just blurted my thoughts out. I wonder now if I am in danger of causing others to stumble in their faith. Should I have shared these things with them? Should I have just kept them to myself? There is a growing feeling of regret over what I said, and I wonder now if it is the Holy Spirit trying to tell me something. In a way, I am glad that my friends cannot accept what I shared about the gospel, Hell and salvation. I do not want them to lose their faith and become confused just because of me. And who knows, maybe I am straying away from the faith. Maybe I am losing it. Maybe I am becoming one of those false teachers that Jesus and the apostles warned about. I shouldn’t drag my friends along with me. The discussion ended with my concerned friends cautioning me to stop reading Brian McLaren’s books. Perhaps, I am going a little too far…

3 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger kath said...

hey.read about your concern. do know that of those whom have listened would have their own judgment on what's right and what's wrong. Let the Holy Spirit work within each. you were just sharing your thoughts and you should.Me as one of those whom have listened, are personally encouraged, to seek deeper in the truth. Be strong!

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Sivin Kit said...

I think McLaren's NKOC trilogy was and is intended to be conversation sparks ... and opening up space of questions to have a safe place to arise. Now, in one's journey .. there would be multiple possible answers we're juggling with as we process particular issues (e.g. hell). I identify with you that there are different contexts and how we can share our inner wrestlings. It would be great those in the conversation give each other space without being too quick to "be panicky". It would be sad if as Christians we've stopped asking questions ... because that might mean we've stopped learning.

On another note on being devotional and being theological, for me I see no separation, I also want to add the need to be practical in the sense we seek to practice what we believe and see how our practices connect with our beliefs. all this consumed by a love for God and his creation. Take care ... I'd like to think of our journey as walking with God ... how far would be go with him? :-)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger sojourner said...

to kath: thanks for the encouragement! btw... nice to see your blog finally up too! :D

to su chen: your blog is accessible again? anyway, thanks for being part of the discussion that day and sharing your views too, and also Annette's point about questioning, 'does it affect your faith?' I agree with you that after all the reasoning and questioning, there will come a point where we can go no further unless we take a leap of faith.

to sivin kit: thanks for the reminder about the practical! Like I shared with you before, I am one of those who need to be reminded about it once in awhile! I really hope that the term 'missional' will not only stay in my head, heart and lips, but will move into my hands and feet as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home