Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Hazy Days

The haze is getting really bad. I can smell it even in an air-conditioned office. I can smell it even in my car. I almost can’t see the next building outside. I foresee that there will be an increase of lung-cancer cases in Malaysia in the following decades! Feels like we’re smoking 24 hours a day! Cough! Cough! Gim Han posted a very interesting article on his blog about Indonesia’s Mega Rice Project. I think it’s possible that this failure of a project could have been a major cause of the haze each year as peat fires continue to burn underground. Pak Lah’s cabinet finally decides to release the Air Pollution Index information to the public after 8 years of cover-ups. Thanks Pak Lah for making a stand on transparency in the government. A Prime Minister with principles! The satellite image from NASA tells it all. The wonders of remote sensing! I love this research!


Then the news came. MMU Cyberjaya will be closed for 2 days. Holiday!!! Well, I’d rather be here in the office in the air-conditioned room. I think I might still come to work tomorrow. And there’s still so much work to do. Then news began to trickle in about hailstones falling in Subang and other parts of KL. Interesting… I wonder if it has any connection to the haze.

I had a nice dinner with Agnes tonight at Café Ceylon Hill. Happy birthday Agnes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home