Sunday, August 07, 2005

The Gift of Friendship


This week has definitely been a wonderful one. God has blessed me with the chance to meet many of the friends that I’ve made in MMU, from the Sarawak mission team members on Thursday, to my CF friends at the convocation in Malacca, to my ex-CG members in SK, friends from Putera Aman Assembly (my former church), and current Bible study friends for the steamboat/bbq buffet tonight. I thank God that He has blessed me so much by bringing all our lives together at different stages in our life-journey. These friends have played a very big part in my life. Many of them have had a profound influence on me, sometimes even without us realizing it. I hope that I’ve been an instrument of God’s blessing to them too. They’ve been there when I needed a listening ear; they’ve been there for me in the times when I’ve been sick or discouraged; they’ve been my support and accountability partners through my four years in university; they’ve been fellow servants serving our Lord together; they’ve been my church and my community of faith. I thank God for these wonderful brothers and sisters of mine! I know that there are many people in the world who are not as fortunate as many of us in this regard.

I haven’t been all that good towards them though. Many a time, I have taken them for granted. And for that I have to apologize. Sometimes I haven’t been a good friend in return. I often fail to love them and care for them as much as myself. I fail to serve them and let pride take over. Many of us have moved on from there and some of us keep in touch less often nowadays. I guess it’s inevitable. We move in and out of each other’s lives. People move in and out of our lives. We still do keep in touch once in awhile, but things will never be the same again. We can only be grateful for those fleeting moments when our lives became entwined. They are moments to treasure… moments to remember, because such moments may be gone in the blink of an eye, and they may never come back again.

The steamboat/bbq buffet dinner was a sort of farewell for Adrian aka Tehka. We met about 4 years ago, when we moved into the same apartment. He’s been a really good friend and brother. I’ve had the privilege to witness God working in his life since his conversion about 3 years ago (if I’m not mistaken). Not only that, I’ve seen God working through him in many circumstances in reaching out to others, in sharing the love of God with those who are lonely, in serving all of us. Indeed his life has been an encouragement and inspiration to me and many around him. Thanks Tehka for being a great friend and brother! I wish you all the best in Penang! May you find a church that you can call home. May your parents learn about the love of Jesus through your life. May you find a good wife too, God willing!! It’s been a great 4 years knowing you. We’ll still be keeping in touch!

Abba Father, I thank you that You planned for us to be in a community. You did not want us to be alone, and this community of love is a glimpse of your kingdom come. Thank you for the blessings of friendship. Help me not to take them for granted.

3 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My conversion is 2 and a half years only, belum 3 years, i think. Feels like 5 years dy!

I know you for like 5 years? Somehow feel like 10 years.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger sojourner said...

oooh.. thanks for the details!! heheh

eh, 4 years only lar, i know u...

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

si meh?
I know you in Gamma 1st sem
That would be like... Gamma, Delta, Epsilon+Working a bit, Working second year.

Oh yeah hor....feels like known you all my life haha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home