Saturday, August 06, 2005

To the Class of '05


It’s convocation time again. Malacca will be packed with visitors from all over Malaysia, all trying to cram into this little state to watch their relatives and friends wear dark robes and funny hats. I went down to Malacca with Katherine, Jane’nette, Tehka and Brendan. So my juniors are graduating. Congrats to all you graduates of 2005! Hope you enjoy working! Mondays will be so much more meaningful now… It actually rained this time around. We even took photographs in the rain! It was nice to meet some of my friends whom I had not seen for quite awhile. We had chicken rice balls for lunch, except that half of the rice that was served were not rice balls at all. According to the shop owners, they couldn’t produce enough rice balls on time.



I’m reminded of a song called ‘Class of ‘95’ by Wayne Watson that I heard many years ago. He wrote this song for his son who was graduating from school. I dedicate it to all my recently graduated friends (I’ve changed ’95 to ’05!)!

Every tree is green again in the wood out my back door
Every spring that scene, again, faithful coming as before
And every living thing is sure with time to come of age
Just like girls and boys outgrowing toys
And reach to turn the page

So this is what I bargained for:
Hushed hello and a rushed goodbye
Old folks said I'd be amazed at how quickly time would fly
Even so, I'm thankful that my God saw fit to lend
This child into my unworthy hands
Who's less a child now and more a friend

I could pray the road would rise to meet you
And that the wind would blow softly on you soul
But sometimes life can sure mistreat you
And troubled times will take their toll
and so the best that I can wish you
No, even better, some good, I will pray
that the Lord in mercy keeps you
and that you hold on to your childlike faith

To the class of '05
Congratulations are in line
God has surely been most faithful
He's been so much more than kind
So get ready to test your wings
And fly away, but when you do
Just remember you are loved
And somebody here is always praying for you

Discernment of the divine will comes through persistent prayer in that such prayer provides the space in which the Holy Spirit can bring about changes in the content of our petitions. Through this kind of prayer, the Spirit is able to illumine our minds and redirect the desires of our hearts. When God’s answer is not forthcoming, persistent prayer emerges as a conversation with God, or perhaps a dialogue with God’s silence. We might describe such prayer in even stronger terms as a struggle to know God’s ways and then to affirm God’s plan. When this struggle gives way to clarity regarding God’s purposes, we come away from the experience with a greater awareness of who God is and a deepened relationship with God whom we serve. ~ Stanley Grenz, Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom

Prayer that occurs in solitude reaches outward to the communal prayer that we should share together. At the same time, our participation together in communal prayer lays the foundation for the praying that we do alone. Indeed, even in the solitude of our private prayer chamber we continue to say ‘Our Father’. ~ Stanley Grenz, Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom

Prayer must always be addressed to God, never to others. Therefore, avoid the temptation to pray ‘for the benefit of’ those who are silently listening. ~ Stanley Grenz, Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home