Wednesday, March 09, 2005

The Jonah that Finally Listened to God

The book of Jonah has a special place in my heart. This is not due to any affection that I have for the prophet with the same name, but it is rather due to the significant role that this book has played in my life. I still remember clearly the events that took place two years ago, when God was calling me to be the president of the CF. The election committee spoke to me and asked if I would be willing to accept the role. My immediate response was to reject it. I couldn’t do it. I didn’t have the qualities that were required. I simply didn’t want to do it!

It would seem coincidental then that we were doing the book of Jonah in Annette’s Bible study. I saw in the prophet Jonah a portrait of myself. I saw that what I was doing was no different from what Jonah did when he tried to run away from God’s call. God’s message was clear to me then. I couldn’t run away. He demanded my obedience, and I had to obey. The rest is history, and my life has never been the same after that. Now I can look back at what God has done in me and through me as the president of the CF with immense gratitude and thankfulness. I would have missed out on so many experiences and lessons in life if I hadn’t obeyed God. Everything happened because of a choice I made. And God used this little book called Jonah to steer me towards that choice.

Charis, now the new president of the CF (after yesterday’s AGM), thanked me today for ‘being the Jonah that finally listened to God’. I did share my story with her before. I am glad that she also made a turn around and decided to continue serving in the committee. I am sure that she will have her own story to tell when she looks back at the choice
she made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home