Saturday, March 19, 2005

Roseline's Wedding

My friends are getting married! This is a sign that I am becoming old. I am moving into a new phase of life. Soon, I’ll be looking forward to the weddings of my friends’ children. There was a large group of us MMUCF graduates attending Roseline’s wedding. One thing struck me during this wedding. There were many non-Christian relatives and friends of the couple who were actually in church! They were experiencing a Christian wedding, Christian worship, even listening to a Christian preacher talk about relationships and marriage from God’s viewpoint. What a wonderful opportunity for these people to find out about what love means to Christians!

As we were going home, Dawn mentioned that she felt disgusted by what the speaker talked about. It was a little advice to both the husband and the wife. I was reminded of Dr Ian’s wedding not too long ago in which the pastor who spoke gave some lame advice (in my opinion) on how to be a good husband or wife. I wondered if speakers at weddings could have talked about other things, besides giving advice to couples. Wouldn’t they have had enough of that in marriage counseling classes? I now wonder about my own wedding, if ever I am going to get married. What would I want the speaker to talk about? What would I want my wedding to reflect and show?

During the wedding service, slides containing photographs of Roseline and her husband, Mark, were shown on a large screen. There were photographs of the two of them as tiny babies, little children, and young adults. I was moved to tears as I looked at those photographs with this beautiful Chinese song playing in the background. The song speaks of the wonderful gift of knowing God. As tears were flowing down my cheeks, I came to realize how God must have been so faithful in both of their lives. They have come so far, and now they will be embarking on a new journey together.

Besides my wedding (if I am given the opportunity to get married), there will be another occasion when all my non-Christian relatives and friends will go to church: my funeral. What will I want to share with them through an occasion like this? What do I want my wedding and funeral to reflect and show? What do I want all my loved ones and friends, whether Christian or not, to know? The resounding answer in my heart is this: I want these occasions to be a testament of God’s faithfulness and grace in my life. If it is my wedding, I want it to reflect God’s faithfulness in both the lives of my wife and me. If it is my funeral, then I want it to reflect God’s faithfulness in my entire journey on earth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home