Sunday, March 20, 2005

Words of Wisdom from Neo (and Dan)

I don’t condemn them for this, but I see their situation as a mirror for my own self-examination ~ Neo, A New Kind of Christian.

I may share in some of the views that Brian McLaren has about the Bible, the Church and on spirituality, but there is something about him that I do not have – a spirit of humility that seems to hold him back from being too judgmental on others. Every time he talks about a group of people with whom he doesn’t agree with, I can sense this humility and genuine belief that he could be wrong as well. This quote from Neo underlines it perfectly. I am no different from those people whom I tend to judge. Instead of condemning them, I should ‘see their own situation as a mirror for my own self-examination’. Am I guilty of the same sins? Do I fail miserably if I measure myself with the same expectations I have set for these people?

The people who talk the most about God are the ones most in danger of taking him for granted, of letting God become just a comfortable word in their lexicon, a piece of furniture, rather than a reality, a friend, a constant surprise. The people who talk the most about loving God are the ones most in danger of being PROUD of how much they love Him. The people who speak most vehemently against sin are the most in danger of feeling superior to those whose sins they excoriate, thus falling prey to an even more horrible, subtle species of sin. And since they preach so hard against sin, they are also in the most danger of yielding to the temptation to hide the sins they themselves commit. ~ Neo, A New Kind of Christian

I look back over my years in ministry and ask what has really helped people change and deepen spiritually: (1) youth retreats, (2) short term mission trips, (3) some small groups (I say some – others were a waste of time), (4) many one-to-one relationships, (5) getting people involved in leading something or serving somewhere. ~ Dan, A New Kind of Christian

I look back over my years as a Christian and ask what has really helped me change and deepen spiritually: (1) retreats (not the over-hyped ones with packed schedules and in which nobody gets enough sleep, but those involving small groups of people intent on seeking rest in God), (2) short term mission trips, (3) some small groups I have been involved in, (4) many one-to-one relationships, (5) getting involved in leadership and serving somewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home